Tuesday, January 5, 2010

An inspirational visit to the MOMA

If I don't know you, please comment!  I am new to blogging and would love to hear from somebody. 



For the last few days, I have been painting using gouache, masking fluid, and a grid.  I was inspired by a visit to the Metropolitan  Museum of Art in New York City on December 29.  I enjoyed the oil paintings by Picasso (Girl before a mirror), Monet, Cezanne, Warhol, Miro and many others; the Bauhaus exhibit was amazing. Learning about the Bauhaus was completely new to me;  it turns out they based most of their architecture/painting/fibers/stained glass on a grid system.  The entire 6th floor (pictures weren't allowed) was dazzling with little squares of color everywhere I looked.  I came home with a whole new appreciation and application of a grid in fine art paintings. Three days ago, I made a grid a little larger than 1/4" by 1/4" on an 11 x 14 piece of watercolor paper and have been merrily painting away.  In my painting I have also decided to include circles and some natural shapes.  I am terrible about finishing my paintings and drawings, but I'm hoping this blog will help me with that.  Maybe if I am more accountable, even just to myself by writing about the painting, I will be able to finish it.





Does anybody recognize the painting above?  I am loosely basing my painting on this photo I took at the MOMA, but I don't know who painted it!  I spent over an hour today browsing the MOMA collections, and it's not listed! 



2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to leave a comment and say "hello"! Welcome to the world of blogging. Glad to see you over on Flickr, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and welcome to blogging!

    I am envious of your proximity to the MoMA (I am half a world away!). I really like your grid-inspired painting. I wouldn't have had a clue that Bauhaus was grid-influenced ... and I studied it at high school (methinks I wasn't paying attention that day!).

    ReplyDelete