Friday, January 6, 2017

Boring charts and free work

Today, I am getting ready for  a meeting with a new post doc.  A new post doc (Natalie) is joining the lab that I worked in, both as a cartographer and as a research assistant, for the past 3.5 years.  She is taking over my Chapter 2 thesis research (which I never ended up completing).  Although, I am not getting paid by the lab anymore, my advisor (who still needs to sign off on my thesis) wants me to debrief her on my project.  Since I never got very far on the project, it is a bit difficult.  However, I can show her some boring graphs and such.  Such as this one below:


What does that graph even mean!  Seriously -- I bet in 3 months I won't be able to tell anybody what it means either and I feel bad for Natalie having to look at it.  However,  she needs to see that the NREI changes depending on the depth within the water column.  I am also going to make a map that illustrates the same concept for her.  I am sure the map will make more sense, but just in case she is a graph person, I am going to show her this really boring graph (and poorly made at that) too.

Besides getting ready for an unpaid meeting, I have spent the last couple of days applying for jobs.  Two days ago, out of the blue, I got a phone call from a potential employer.  He is putting together a proposal for a contract and interviewed me right over the phone.  He also called me back and negotiated a salary with me.  If he gets the job, I might get the job too.  This job is for a contract cartographer with the federal government. I think it would be a good job, and would allow me to use both my GIS and design skills, plus still keep me creative. I am particularly happy that the job is more design based, and less GIS.  I will work a GIS job because I am very good at it, however, it would not be my first choice.

That's all for now.  I know this is kind of an abrupt ending, but I really just am using this blog to document my daily thoughts, so no ending here....

No comments:

Post a Comment