Monday, April 15, 2019

Homemade yogurt

Ever since I discovered how easy it is to make my own yogurt (and the taste of homemade :)), I can't buy store plain yogurt anymore.  Most of the store yogurts are way too tangy for me (Chobani - yuck).

Ingredients:
1 gallon WHOLE milk
1 cup plain or vanilla yogurt - I like to use icelanic yogurt/siggi's/ or noosa (honey or vanilla)


Boil the milk.  Immediately turn off and allow to cool to body temperature (it shouldn't feel much warmer than your wrist).  Heat oven for 3 minutes (just to get it warm).  Whisk yogurt into cooled milk.  Turn off oven (if the oven is hot, leave the door open for a few minutes to cool to a warm temperature).  Place yogurt/milk in oven overnight (about 10 hours usually works well).  Make sure you leave the oven light on. Skim the  skin off the top of the yogurt in the morning.

I like my yogurt thick, so I drain it by taking a colander and placing it in the sink. I line the colander with paper towels. Pour the yogurt into the colander and allow to drain to desired thickness. I usually drain it for about 3 hours. 


No comments:

Post a Comment